would it have been worth while, to have bitten off the matter with a smile,
to have squeezed the universe into a ball

Monday, June 18, 2007

mom-ing

it was my fault to begin with. we kept henry out all day: skipping nap after nap. [the picnic in findlay park was worth it, but that's another story.]

when i finally wrapped him up and put him in bed, he blinked a few times and then started to scream. he's just really tired, i thought. i'll let him cry. so he cried. and cried and cried and cried. [and if you're a mom, you know the difference between the i'm crying but soon i'll fall asleep cry and the i'm crying and i will continue to cry until something about my life changes for the better cry.]

i sat down on his floor and tried to think of all the reasons i can't fall asleep when i'm exhausted. i rubbed his legs. i slid his fuzzy blanky down his forehead and over his nose again and again. i gave him his binky. he continued to cry scream flail etc.

then it hit me. the number one reason i can't fall asleep: i'm too darn hot.

i picked little hal up out of his crib and put his head right in front of the breeze from the window unit. he blinked. he blinked again. he whimpered. he stopped crying. he made a little half-smile. he closed his eyes. he went to sleep.

yet another mom-ing moment where words would have helped.

3 comments:

karina said...

That makes me laugh! We had so much fun re-meeting Henry last week. Thanks for letting us stay!

Becky J. said...

Ah, isn't the guessing game so much fun?! I feel like I know what Sophie wants/needs most of the time, but there are definitely mnoments when I wish I could crawl into her little head and take a look around. Good for you for figuring the problem out! What a good mommy!

Sarajane said...

Julia has done it- she slept from the time I put her to bed (after crying herself to sleep) and did not get up or wake me up until morning daylight. It only took one year- I just hope it keeps going.