would it have been worth while, to have bitten off the matter with a smile,
to have squeezed the universe into a ball

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

teeth

i'm married to a dentist, but i'm not exactly convinced of teeth.

henry just spent several weeks screaming in my arms as his two bottom toofers pushed up through his bone and broke through his thin pink skin. we spent hours on the porch rocking and rocking and rocking (watching my impatiens, which i must say, are absolutely stunning) while the sparrows looked at me in mock sympathy. nothing could comfort henry. nothing. not even tastes of sweet sticky cherry tasting tylenol from a dropper. not even the songs i sang while dangling the stuffed red monkey above his fingers. not even when i just held him on my lap and cried too: crying for him, crying for me, crying for the hours my own mother must have spent crying with me.

what's so bad [really] about a liquid diet?

4 comments:

Stephanie and Paul said...

two teeth now? good work henry! it's hard to have an early teether, though luke wasn't quite that early, i think 6 months? and that was pretty miserable. but as they get older they get more distractable. and the tylenol seems to make a difference then.

Annie Leavitt said...

i think abby might be teething too, either that or a growth spurt. drooling is an understatement, and she wants to eat every 2 hours and is not napping nearly as much as i would like. why don't they just cooperate with us!

The Lambs said...

i hope austin's teeth stay away forever too. there's nothing wrong with smoothies for life, right? jessie, you are an incredible writer! i feel like i'm reading a classic novel when i read your blog- such a step up from my daily vocabulary- so thanks for using your talents to bless my life, and as a therapy for your own life, i'm sure!

Sarajane said...

us too, but I don't have any impatiens to look at but my own.