would it have been worth while, to have bitten off the matter with a smile,
to have squeezed the universe into a ball

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

a small bout of heroism

i have a job chart for myself. you know, just to remind myself of all the daily household tasks i'm not accomplishing. at the top of the list is "cook dinner."

see, i think families should eat together. every night. i think they should eat healthy things. i think they should spend time talking. i think they should know about each other's lives. the only hitch is, i am now the mom. surprise number one: if my family is going to eat dinner together, i'm the one who has to make it happen. my mom, for instance, is not going to come over every day around 4:30 and start whipping up her famous gulash.

not to say that it wasn't an absolute wrestling match, but this past week i actually did it. i had a warm delicious and mostly nutritive dinner on the table at 5:00 pm every day. wowzers.

the menu follows:
monday-baked salmon with tarragon butter
tuesday-salmon cakes with mint and basil
wednesday-green leaf and endive salad with salmon and artichokes
thursday-linguine in white sauce with salmon and basil
friday-braided loaf bread with roast beef, provolone, and pepper jack
saturday-biscuits and gravy
sunday-chuck roast with mashed potatoes and carrots
monday-roast hash with rosemary and lemon thyme


i amaze myself. [i also have to thank my herb garden for its important contributions to the week.] and i never want to eat salmon again.

5 comments:

Tiff said...

Sounds like you must have found a great deal on salmon! You do know that fish freezes for later use, right? ;)

karina said...

That sure is a lot of salmon.

I'm very impressed that you made dinner every day for a week. I'm also very impressed by your menu. Are those recipes you made up and named yourself, or are they from a book? They sound so real and stuff.

Rebecca said...

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want salmon anymore either! What a good mom, though, to cook every day. If I knew Brad would be home, maybe that would give me more incentive to cook. But alas, I never know when he'll be home, so we eat a LOT of pasta!

Stephanie and Paul said...

you are a true hero. dinner on the table is on the top of my to do list every day too. and i'm avoiding a list of things i'm not doing...i don't think that would help me be productive. maybe once the baby starts sleeping....

esmiley said...

This is a small bout of heroism--especially to have dinner ready by 5pm. I've never together enough to eat that soon. And if it's any consolation, I have a chore chart too. One can always aspire to have the home clean, orderly, etc. But it's really much more fun to play with toys, laugh, and get things dirty.

btw this is Emily from your freshman academy. Jenny gave me your link. And I've been passively admiring your blog for a bit now.